Friday, February 12, 2010

So many words!!!

Well there are so many things on my mind these days and a lot that takes one's attention. For instance i have just finished writing an article for the Easter edition of the Merton Journal. I looked at 2 books that challenged me to evaluate my relationship with the Jewish people and faith. I used the hebrew word "teshuva" in my title and article which means an openess to change. I have certainly been changed by my personal contact with a lovely Jewish lady who is also a Zen teacher and with the book on Merton and Judaism. But I still have much to learn. It has at this moment made me very sensitive to the way we present the Jewish faith in Christian churches especially during Lent and Easter. I will pass on the official writings of the Catholic church on this matter in my ministry as Parish priest of Tetbury ( in America we only use one word for this role namely "pastor" and that's easier and a much better description!)

Having known Richard Rohr over many years i am interested that he is coming to the UK in August apart from other talks he will be at Swanick Conference Centre August 31 - September 2 talking on "The heart of the Emerging Church" He sees a whole new Christianity emerging which transcends denominations and is essentially contemplative and more suited to a post modern approach to the spiritual dimension of life. I wonder what the reaction will be in the Uk where a large majority believe in God but few attend regular church services. Perhaps Diarmuid O' Muchu will go to his talks - they seem to be on the same line.

I have a Zazenkai (Zen Day ) at Ammerdown this weekend - tomorrow in fact and I will be focusing on our Spring Ango which draws on Buddhsit monastic practice and fits well into Lent. I will ask them in the Wild Goose Sangha to reflect on 3 of their relationships 1. with their teacher 2 with their practice and 3 with their Sangha. I am inclined to want to get all of us to really see what we want and to give real dedication to our practice of Zen which is really just the practice of our life. addressing the really big questions of Whom am I? What is reality? What is true? What is death? What is life and What on earth is all this about ? So where do you sit on all this?

1 comment:

Marcus said...

I wonder if you could explain a little more the meaning of Ango. I am not familiar with it and would like to take part.

Marcus