Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Natural Disasters!

The terrible earthquake in Haiti has I am sure left all of us stunned and feeling just terrible for all those whose lives have been devastated. We must do everything we can to support them to allevaite their plight.

Having said that I find that I still react to the use of the phrase "natural disasters " for things like this. I remember I was giving a weekend retreat in Tulsa many years ago titled "The music of the Cosmos" I used this phrase "natrual disasters" and a Native American participant immediately took me to task saying that for the natural world these were not disasters but part of what is very necessary for the natural world. They are only disasters for us because we have closen to ignore the workings of the natural world. We hear much these days about our effect on the climate and our abuse of the environment. We find an occurance of an earthquake a disaster for us because we have failed to take account of the natural movements of the earth in order for it to survive, The ultimate lesson is that we really do need to listen to the natural world more carefully and work in conjunction with its natural workings rather than against them.

What do you think?

No comments: